I blogged earlier about the trouble I had with configuring my Outlook with the Dynamics CRM plugin for Outlook and gave you a manual to configure it in the right way. But I experienced something else which definitely deserves its own post. An organization that won’t go away.
As a CRM consultant I am often switching between organizations, depending for which customers I am working. This also means I often need to re-configure the CRM Outlook Plugin. Default I always set the environment to the CRM organization of ESC (which is my employer), but sometimes I just delete the organizations to which my Outlook is synchronizing.
So if we take a look at it from the Outlook Configuration Wizard, you can connect to your on-premises organization or to your CRM Online organization.
But instead of connecting to an organization, I decided to not make a connection. So I cancelled the pop up and gave no credentials what so ever.
If I checked my Outlook, the plugin was not configured, not visible and not able to consult.
So, end of story. Or that’s what I thought. As I still had some emails to answer, my Outlook stayed open and suddenly I got a pop up, which told me it was “adding organization”. As this is usually this is the pop up you get when configuring the plugin, I was pretty amazed that it was configuring itself, without me giving in any credentials.
The plugin even discovered I had another computer as my synchronizing client for this organization. Remark that I had no idea which organization was meant, as I had connected with several ones in the past.
As a brave consultant I let the process run and set my computer as the synchronizing client.
I also allowed to set this client as the computer that will perform Outlook synchronization with this client.
So after a couple of minutes of letting the plugin configure itself and accepting it messages, the plugin was done and showed me to which organization I was connected. You can imagine my surprise as it was our own organization it configured with:
I decided to check with the guys from powerobjects to look for a solution. They have a very decent manual with their “The CRM Book”, which handles on a range of topics. One of them being “Dynamics CRM Outlook Client Troubleshooting“. After some reading it suspected the temporary files to be the culprit and to have kept my credentials cached.
Also within Diagnostics, in the Advanced Troubleshooting tab, there is a button to delete temporary files. This works similarly to Internet Explorer, when deleting your temporary files can solve miscellaneous problems due to caching. Deleting temporary files is an important step to take when problems begin to occur with the Outlook client. – The CRM Book
So I started the process again. I first deleted my organization.
Next, I deleted my Temporary Microsoft Dynamics CRM client files. Be warned, nothing specials happens when you press “delete”, no pop up, no confirmation, nothing. Furthermore, I pressed “save”. You never know pressing “save” contains the solution!
After that, the organization was again not visible or anything else.
But after a few minutes…
Feel free to comment if you found a solution that does work.